The site located in Ealing was previously utilised as a truck MOT and servicing unit and the redevelopment objective was to construct a fire fighting training facility. Site investigation identified contamination as a potential risk to human health, development infrastructure and controlled waters therefore remediation work formed part of the planning conditions.
Ash Remediation Management were involved with the site from an early stage which allowed us to advise our client on numerous issues which ultimately expedited the site development programme. The scope of our involvement entailed remediation and earthworks and a summary of our package is detailed below:
- Clean, degas and remove the two underground fuel tanks, associated pipe work and interceptors
- Delineate the soils surrounding the historical on site fuel storage apparatus and determine the extent of any potentially contaminated soils
- Excavate material that exceeds the re-use acceptability criteria and send for off-site remediation/regeneration
- Excavate and break out the existing hard standings/concrete slab and any underlying hard materials. Process the product of the breakout to 6F2 classification
- Validate through chemical testing the excavations previously containing the fuel storage apparatus
- Carry out six rounds of groundwater monitoring
Ash Remediation Management completed their work programme ahead of schedule and all paperwork and regulatory documents were submitted under the cover of a project report. This allowed release of the remediation based planning conditions and successful continuation of the development.